Friday, June 13, 2014

13 de Junio

How to begin describing all the emotions I have experienced today...

Today is a hard day.  June 13 is always a hard day.  
Years go by, and it doesn't get easier.  
I miss my family, yes.  
I miss my friends, yes.
I miss my darling nephews, yes.  
I miss "home".
But today I had to experience missing those things in the midst of really MISSING someone who I've missed for 7 years.  And it isn't any easier when you have to miss someone without the comfort of your family around you.  Today, I woulda given a lot to be able to hug my mom.  That was my one big selfish desire for the day.  
Yes, I miss my family and the many comforts of home.  But more than that, today was a day where I really deeply missed Uncle Dave.  
It's not a fun day, and I'm definitely ready for it to be over.  But God sustained me through a day that could have been a lot worse. 

A verse that came to my mind and I saw on multiple occasions today was this... "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." {2 Corinithians 12:9}  I have liked this verse for a while and held onto it as I was preparing to go on this adventure.  I love the idea that God uses us in our weaknesses.  I am weak.  Today, I was especially weak.  My heart hurt, and I was longing for things that I couldn't have.  But God still used me.  And God used my day for His glory.  Today was a day when I definitely needed God's grace to get me through the day, and that is exactly what He did.  

Standing on the rooftop tonight looking out at the full moon and the immense sky full of stars, I was reminded of how great and how vast God's love is for us.  And how His grace got me here and continues to sustain me.  

So in a day that could have been overtaken by the sadness in my heart, I was able to have a one-on-one Spanish lesson with an amazing and caring woman and teacher, hand out snack to 80 eager and joy-filled children, and hear countless happy voices calling out my name "Hola Profe Breanna! Hola! Hola!"  God's grace is definitely sufficient for me.

And I could do it all knowing someone was up in heaven smiling down on me, keeping a protective eye on me, and teasing me for every misstep along the way.  

No comments:

Post a Comment