Monday, June 12, 2017

Bolivia: la misma y diferente

I have been back in Bolivia now for 3 days.  When thinking about what I wanted to title this post, I was thinking about all that seems so familiar and the same as the previous time I was here and what all has changed since my time here three years ago.  Hence, the title -- Bolivia: la misma (the same) y diferente (and different).  

When I stepped off the plane into the Santa Cruz airport, I could already tell that it was the same old Bolivia.  The smell was the same, the people appeared the same, and all the sights were so similar.  It felt a little bit like coming "home" in that way.  I missed so many things about this place so much!! I definitely missed the laid back culture, but also the busyness of the city.  I missed the sights and sounds (and only some of the smells😉).  I missed this culture and all that it has to offer.  There are always people out and about during the day walking around in the streets and going about their work and chores.  It is so hard to describe unless you have experienced and seen all of the craziness around me each day here in Cochabamba!  It truly is different than anything I have ever seen.  The cars and buses are always going SO fast, there seem to be no rules of the road other than "I'm bigger so get out of my way".  Everyone walks places or takes "trufis" (public transportation like a taxi or bus) or public "microbuses".  The hustle and bustle of the city is something I definitely missed, but I also missed the quiet up at the Quiroga house where we are further away from the busy city and more up in the mountains.  The view from the rooftop is AMAZING, and you can just hear the sounds of dogs barking in the distance, construction workers working, and the cars and buses that occasionally go past.  It is nice going "home" to a place that is a little away from all the craziness and busyness of the city, too.

Another thing that was more familiar for me was the Spanish.  I really was surprised how quickly I could pick up on the Spanish here.  It is SO much easier than when I was in Spain, and I remember it taking a bit while I was here to be able to understand David and Mama Toti and the boys but I am doing really well!  Only occasionally if one of them mumbles or says something that I don't understand will I have to ask them to repeat, but most of the time I can pick up on at least 90% of the conversation.  I also could pick up on everything that was said at church!! I remember it being so hard to stay focused and actually pick up on everything they were saying in the church services when I was here three years ago, but that just shows me how much my Spanish has gotten better and improved over the last years!  I was worried I was going to need a major refresher after not speaking it largely for 2+ years.  

The one thing that has changed so much is El Centro.  They have done SO much work to the center since I was here last.  There is play equipment for the kids, a new kitchen is under construction, they have "finished" a lot more of the yard and that is so cool to see all the progress that has been made!! During church and in the middle of the church service when there is a moment for "refreshments" of pastries and coffee, the kids were even enjoying the large ramp that serves as a sort of slide and all the play equipment.  It was so fun to see all the children.  I even recognized two kiddos that I helped at the center three years ago: Gabriel and Mariana!  They clearly didn't remember me, as they were quite little when I was here, but I showed them pictures to prove that I remembered them from years back.  😊 It looks like they have changed the "programming" of what they do there a lot as well.  They added a class of kindergarten and now they only go up until 6th grade.  It will be fun to go to the center and actually work tomorrow to see all the changes and improvements to the classrooms.  I am only sad that a lot of the students that I met during my time at the center are now old enough that they don't come. 😢  I really hope that there is an opportunity for me to see a few of them that I was closer with.  I am excited to see the rest of the kiddos tomorrow at the center, though!

Now for a quick recap of what we've done so far since being here...
As I said earlier, we went to church on Sunday morning at the Center.  It is always great enjoying a church service there.  Multiple times they welcomed us and David spoke about me returning to them after a few years and how special that is to them.  I am so very blessed that they invited me to return, and I am thankful that they are so happy to have me here with them again.  They truly seem very excited that I returned to see all the changes and to visit with everyone and help at the Center.  When I arrived at the airport and they came and picked me up, Papa David and Mama Toti also hugged and kissed me multiple times saying how good it was to see me and how they were so happy I came to see them again.  The are the kindest, most wonderful people, and I am so excited to get to spend a couple weeks with them.  

After church, we relaxed.  I definitely hit a wall yesterday and could feel the fatigue kicking in after so much traveling.  I took a three hour nap and then we all watched a movie together.  This morning (Monday) we went with Mama Toti to the Cancha.  When I say we I mean Kate and I.  Kate is another volunteer staying here for four weeks.  It is nice to have a roommate here and someone to accompany me and do things with.  The cancha is the super huge market here.  It is fun, but super crazy.  You just have to watch out for cars and people, hope not to get run over, and definitely not to get lost from Toti.  After that, I was exhausted once again and fell asleep in the trufi even, which is absolutely crazy for how rough the roads are and how wild the drivers are.  There are people constantly getting on and off the buses and trufis, too.  Many times people are standing because there isn't enough room for everyone to sit.  We got home, I took a power nap, we ate lunch, and then David and Toti were off to La Paz.  Which means, the rest of the day we have been on our own and we will be tonight and tomorrow as well.  We convinced/begged Isaac to take us to get ice cream so that we could get out of the house today and not sit at home all afternoon and night.  We went to "Globos" which has super good ice cream and then walked and did a little shopping around the downtown area and saw Plaza Colon and Plaza Principal.  We walked a TON.  I was exhausted when we returned home.  It will be nice to have David and Toti home again tomorrow night.  We hope everything goes well with their visit to La Paz to (hopefully!) get a VISA to visit Joana in England.  We are praying that works out PERFECTO for them. 

That is all for now!  We have done a lot in three days, but I can't wait for the time at the Centro to begin this week!  I only have 2 weeks with the kiddos which will go so fast!! Tomorrow because David is gone, I will be helping out in his 3rd grade classroom!

Adios y vaya con Dios,
Breanna

brother Isaac and Howard playing guitar and singing at church

the NEW play equipment at El Centro


selfie by Isaac on the microbus :)

a parade going on while we were walking downtown to go to the market

the cancha (the market)

ice cream at Globos with my roommate Kate

during our Monday afternoon walk

Plaza Principal

nighttime from the top of the Quiroga house where I am staying


3 comments:

  1. wow....sounds like you had a great day. Keep blogging and posting pictures. It is truly exciting to hear about. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So exciting to read your blog! We remember going to Globos and La Cancha many, many times. We continue to pray for your time in Cochabamba!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for you Breanna as you are God's hands and feet in Cochabamba!--Faye K

    ReplyDelete